Last night, Lupita Nyong’o graced viewers across the nation with her elegant presence. Wearing an ethereal, pale blue dress from Prada and a golden headpiece adorned with diamonds, she had all eyes on her. Her makeup look was gorgeous as well with an emphasis on bright, red lips. In the film, she portrayed the life of Patsey, a slave in Pre-Civil War United States. Her stunning performance in “12 Years of Slave” won her an Oscar this year, as well as many other acknowledgements and national recognition.
To learn how to get a similar look, read on.
1. Prime skin with your favorite primer. Lupita’s skin looks quite healthy and luminous, so steer clear from mattifying primers, as this will give a more powdered look.
2. Apply foundation from center of face moving outwards to the borders of face. Follow with your favorite concealer to spot-correct if needed. Use a concealer under the eyes to correct any dark circles as well. 3. Apply a taupe eyeshadow the eyelids and blend upwards into the crease. Apply eyeliner to the upper lid. It appears that Lupita wore fairly natural looking false lashes. Wearing eyeliner on the upper lid will blend where the glue from the fake lashes has been applied and help to pull the look together. Do not skip eyeliner if you are planning to wear false lashes with this look.
4. Lupita’s brows are very bold for this look. Use your favorite pencil to fill in sparse hairs. Follow the shape of your natural brow to give you a defined, yet natural look.
5. Apply a bright red-toned blush to apples of cheeks. It is very important to use a light hand when applying your blush. Remember less is more, and if you really feel like you need more blush, you can always add more later.
6. Apply your favorite lip balm to the lips for moisture. Follow with your favorite red (Lupita seems to be wearing a slightly brighter red, but choose a shade that will fit your skin tone). Using a lip balm will give you a glossy lip look, but it will also make it so the lipstick does not go on as pigmented and flat if you were to wear it alone. Note: Lupita Nyong’o used CLARINS HydraQuench Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm, which she carries with her everywhere.
Though we believe in the beauty of lipstick here at AskMissA, we are firm believers in inner beauty – something that Lupita Nyong’o, without a doubt, possesses. We leave you with an inspiring quote from her acceptance speech last night to remind you to chase after your dreams because anything is possible. “No matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid.” – Lupita Nyong’o