We still have another month or so of summer, so why not grill to your heart’s content as the outdoors is the perfect place to be (weather permitting, of course). Having a new grill in my backyard, I am utilizing it almost every other day – from grilled fruits to steaks to grilling bread.
These tacos are bursting with fresh flavors: mango, scallions, cilantro, peaches, Napa cabbage, avocado and kiwi! After a trip to my local farmers market, I found everything I needed to achieve a perfect summer meal and an additional trip to my local grocery had me picking up fresh shrimp and tilapia and some nice white corn tortillas! I topped off the tacos with a smooth Cilantro Cream Sauce.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 20 large fresh shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 4-6 fresh tilapia fillets
- Vegetable oil
- 1 fresh lime, juice only
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat your grill on high for about 10-15 minutes. The grill needs to be nice and hot. If you prefer, you can grill indoors. My favorite indoor grill is my Le Creuset Skinny Grill. Season shrimp and fish with salt and pepper and lightly brush on oil on both sides. Shrimp will take 2-3 minutes per side, fish should take 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to platter when done and squeeze lime juice on top.
- Lightly brush tortillas with oil on each side and grill for about 3 minutes. Remove to platter-layer paper towels in between tortillas and cover with foil.
Ingredients in Tacos
- ½ Napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 fresh mango, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 fresh scallions or green onions, chopped
- 2 fresh peaches, leave skins on, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 small fresh avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 fresh kiwi, peeled, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion, diced
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Dash of Salt and Pepper
- Hot Sauce (Tapatio)
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the fruits and vegetables, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper and hot sauce (according to your taste buds).
- Chill for 20 minutes or longer.
Ingredients – Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 1 container regular sour cream, small
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- Salt and Pepper
- Hot Sauce, (Tapatio)
- 3 tablespoons of Cotija Cheese
- In a blender or food processor combine all of the above ingredients.
- Blend for about 30 seconds.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- For each taco, take tortilla and fill with fruit and vegetable mixture, some shrimp or shrimp and tilapia, drizzled with Cilantro Cream Sauce. You can add more fresh cilantro if you choose.