One bite of my fresh peach ice cream and you will think you just picked a sun-ripened peach off the tree! This summer dessert is light and airy with small chunks of angel food cake dripping with sweet but mouth-watering rum sauce. The Jack Sparrow character from Pirates of the Caribbean would wholeheartedly agree with one taste of this dessert!
The rum sauce will last about 1 week in the refrigerator so you can make it ahead of time. This sauce also works well on butter pecan or French vanilla ice cream. To save time you can purchase an angel food cake at your local grocer’s and cut into bite size chunks. This recipe will require you to use an ice cream machine – use according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve in champagne flutes or martini glasses!
Angel Food Cake (Store bought Angel Food Cake – cut into 2 inch chunks)
Peach Ice Cream
4 ripe peaches, halved, pitted and chopped into small chunks
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Bacardi Gold Rum
1 ½ cups milk
1 ½ cups heavy cream
4 egg yolks
Pinch of Salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Tahitian)
- Place half of peaches in a small bowl. Mash with a potato masher, sprinkle with lemon juice and about 3 tablespoons of the sugar – mix thoroughly. Add rum, gently toss and then cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk and 1 cup of the cream and the remaining peaches. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl pressing on the peach with the back of a spoon. Discard the solids.
- Combine egg yolks, and the rest of the sugar, salt and remaining cream to a bowl. Whisk until smooth and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Whisk about a quarter of the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture until smooth – tempering. Pour the egg and milk mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly and keep custard at a very low simmer. Cook until custard coats the back of a spoon, about 4-7 minutes. Do not let custard boil. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Place the bowl into a larger bowl that is filled with ice cubes and water to cool down the custard. Stir until cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it onto the surface to prevent any skin from forming. Refrigerate for 4-5 hours.
- Pour custard into ice-cream maker and freeze accordingly. When nearly frozen add the reserved peaches. Stir until just mixed. Transfer to a container and freeze until firm – about 3-4 hours. Serve.
¼ cup unsalted butter
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup light brown sugar
Pinch of Salt
2 tablespoons Bacardi Gold Rum
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cream, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Stir sugar until completely dissolved. Remove from heat, slowly add rum. Serve warm.
- In each glass place 3-4 chunks of angel food cake.
- Add a small scoop of ice cream, a few more chunks of cake, another small scoop of ice cream, and then drizzle rum sauce on top.