The day after a big holiday like Thanksgiving, a breakfast casserole is the way to start the day. Makes sense to combine day old bread and a few other ingredients, capturing a perfect harmony of spice and custard. I modified my original bread pudding recipe to include candy cap mushrooms. This mushroom smells of pure maple syrup and is a great addition to any dessert, bread, waffles, pancakes, custards and ice cream. These mushrooms are small, delicate, red brown mushrooms that become more intense when dried and add a mapley rich flavor. They bake in perfectly disguised for those that would never trust such a feat from a mushroom. Start a tradition during the holidays this year with Candy Cap Bread Pudding. Your house will smell scrumptious and you won’t feel the stress of a demanding recipe. This rich, sweet bread pudding can be prepared ahead and baked any morning, or as a delicious treat to serve guests stopping in during the holidays.
Candy Cap Bread Pudding:
- 1 loaf of French bread – ripped into bite size pieces, preferably day old
- ¼ cup dried candy cap mushrooms (marxfoods.com)
- 3 cups cream
- ¾ whole milk
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 organic eggs
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup golden raisins
1. Take a 2 quart pan and bring cream to a scald. Take pan off heat. Infuse Candy Cap mushrooms for 1 hour.
2. Butter 9×13-inch baking dish. Tear up the bread and place it in the dish. Whisk the eggs with the milk, cream/mushroom mixture, sugar, vanilla, butter, salt and spices, in medium bowl to blend; pour over bread. Sprinkle the raisins over the mix, and working with your hands, fold them in to incorporate them evenly through the bread. Press down on bread to make sure it gets moistened completely. Cover with foil and chill overnight.
3. Place foil-covered dish in cold oven. Set oven at 350°F and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until pudding is puffed and golden, about 30-35 minutes longer. Spoon pudding onto plates. Could serve with a sprinkle of chopped, toasted nuts, or with a slathering of butter and warm maple syrup.