While browsing Pinterest, I saw the cutest idea for Thanksgiving dinner table centerpieces. After removing the flesh of a pumpkin, you’re left with a pumpkin shell that can be used to hold servings of your dish while adding a touch of seasonal décor to your dinner table.
Try this pumpkin and cauliflower casserole recipe from Delish, but use mini pumpkins to obtain the pumpkin flesh for the recipe. Then, instead of serving the casserole in a pan, keep the pumpkin shells left over after you remove the pumpkin flesh for the recipe and transfer your cooked casserole into the pumpkin shells. So cute!
- 1 cup(s) fresh, whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup(s) hulled and roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup(s) crumbled goat cheese
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pounds) pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and quartered
- 1 head(s) cauliflower, quartered
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cup(s) half-and-half
- Assemble the vegetables: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole or baking dish and set aside. Combine the bread crumbs, pumpkin seeds, butter, and half the thyme in a medium bowl, stir in the goat cheese, and set aside. Slice the pumpkin quarters into 1/8-inch-thick pieces and repeat with the cauliflower quarters. Combine flour, garlic, mustard seeds, salt, cumin seeds, pepper, and remaining thyme in a small bowl. Spread 1/3 of the pumpkin in the bottom of casserole and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the flour mixture. Repeat with 1/2 of the cauliflower and 2 teaspoons of flour. Continue layering with the remaining pumpkin, cauliflower, and flour, finishing with pumpkin on top. Pour the half-and-half over the entire casserole, place on a baking sheet, and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle topping: After initial 30 minutes of baking, sprinkle bread-crumb mixture over casserole. Return it to oven and bake until golden and bubbly, about 30 more minutes. Serve hot.