With Hurricane Sandy approaching, people in hurricane-prone areas need easy and quick access to important safety information, and their families and friends across the country want to know that they’re safe. The Red Cross is encouraging people update their disaster plan, restock their emergency preparedness kit and to download the American Red Cross‘ Hurricane App for iPhone and Android.
The app is free, available in English and Spanish and provides instant access to real time local information on what to do before, during and after a hurricane. It can also be used to get customized weather alerts for family and friends’ locations and share information on social networks.
The app also includes:
- One-touch “I’m safe” alerts via social networking to alert family and friends that you’re out of harms way
- Location-based NOAA weather alerts for the U.S. and its territories which can be shared on social networks
- Monitoring of weather alerts where family and friends live
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters
- Steps and checklists for creating a family emergency plan
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
Download the app from the iTunes or Google Play store. The Red Cross also provides apps for other emergencies including wild fires and earthquakes. Check out the Red Cross’s website for other information and resources and download the Hurricane App to keep yourself and your family safe this hurricane season.