Everybody associates fall with different things, for some it may be delicious pumpkin lattes, cozy sweaters, or cinnamon spiced desserts. When I think of fall, I think of robust fragrant peppers. The crunchy sound of my teeth sinking into a crisp bell pepper is reminiscent of the sounds created by my feet landing on dried leaves as I walk down the concrete sidewalk.
It’s always hard to cook for a themed-food party for fear of bringing the same food item as someone else (think pumpkin casserole, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, etc.). For your next fall harvest party, try making these stuffed peppers from allrecipes.com with red and orange bell peppers for a less common fall harvest party dish. This recipe is already quite healthy, with its low-fat content and relatively low-calorie content compared to other stuffed pepper recipes. If you want an even healthier recipe, though, try replacing the Arborio rice with brown rice for similar results.
Pick The Perfect Pepper For Your Party From Real Simple Magazine
Red peppers are mature and aging makes red peppers sweeter and more mellow than sharper, grassy-tasting green. Yellow and orange peppers are different, sweeter varieties. Look for firm peppers with shiny, wrinkle-free skins.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 2 green bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the peppers cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Roast 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender and skin starts to brown.
- While the peppers are roasting, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions, basil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cook for 5 minutes. Spoon in the cooked rice, and stir until heated through. Remove from heat, mix in the feta cheese and spoon the mixture into the pepper halves.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.