Fall season is upon our doorstep, and in sweeps many things to celebrate. Football, back to school and festive holidays starting with Halloween. When it comes to entertaining for fall season events, a Paella is beautiful every time. The meat choices I used for the recipe are favorites among my family and friends. Feel free to substitute in your favorites. This full flavored, hearty dish is sure to please any crowd.
- 8 chicken legs
- 1 pound extra large shrimp – deveined and shells removed
- 1 pound chorizo sausage
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 3 medium tomatoes – chopped
- 8 cloves garlic- minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads- crumble threads and add to a few ounces of hot water to release flavor and color
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice approx.
- 1/2 cups Olive oil for stir frying ingredients
- 1 red bell pepper- cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper- cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 1/2 cups Spanish short grain rice, or Arborio rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 scallions- chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped parsley for garnish
Accompaniment: fresh lemon wedges
1. Once shrimp are deveined and shells removed, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Set aside.
2. Roast chicken legs in 450 degree oven until legs reach at internal temp of 160 degrees. Once done, set aside.
3. In a small bowl, sprinkle paprika over chopped tomatoes.
4. In a separate small bowl, mix minced garlic with 1 teaspoon sea salt. Make paste consistency.
5. Bring stock to a simmer in a 3 quart sauce pan, cover and keep at a bare simmer.
6. In a separate small bowl, mix together wine, saffron ( and liquid), and lemon juice.
7. Add olive oil to paella pan over moderately high heat and stir fry chorizo sausage for 8 minutes or until done. Transfer to platter.
8. Add shrimp, stir frying in pan for 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter with sausage.
9. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan and stir fry peppers for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic paste and stir fry for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and stir fry for 1 minute.
10. Add rice and stir to evenly coat ingredients.
11. Measure hot stock to ensure it measures 6 cups, add water if necessary.
12. Stir stock, wine mixture, and bay leaf into rice.
13. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly but gently. Look for rice to appear more on surface, and when the spoon would leave a path exposing the bottom of the pan when pulled through the mixture. ( About 5 to 7 minutes)
14.Remove pan from heat and stir in shrimp, chorizo sausage, scallions, peas, black pepper and a pinch of salt. Lay chicken legs decoratively around on top.
15. Bake, uncovered at 450 degrees, about 15 to 20 minutes.
16. Look for edges to form a golden crust and almost all liquid to be absorbed.
17. Take pan from oven and cover with tin foil. Let stand for 10 minutes. The rice continues to cook and will be perfect texture.
18. Sprinkle top of dish with chopped parsley. Garnish with lemon wedges.
19. Place in middle of your table. Enjoy.