Gold nails are in, and by “gold,” we mean actual gold. At this year’s Grammys, entertainer and (nail) trendsetter, Rihanna reportedly wore Red Carpet Manicure’s limited-edition Amor 24 gel polish, which retails for $5,000 a bottle! The at-home gel polish contains a full ounce of 24K gold hence the rather hefty price tag. And let’s not forget about Minx Nails - gold or silver foil manicures – which were hugely popular a few years ago.
Luckily, you can still be on-trend without having to shell out thousands of dollars for a gold-featured manicure. The Gold Leaf Manciure adds gold leaf to your fingers (and toes) for a glistening Midas touch.
(Photo Credits: the beauty department, makeup and megan, psfk)
What you’ll need are a nude nail polish, gold leafing sheets (available at your local art supply store or here), scissors, a q-tip and a nail file.
Steps for the Gold Leaf Manicure:
- Start by cutting 1/4 of a gold leaf sheet into several small pieces.
- Apply a base coat on your nail, then let it dry.
- Apply one coat of polish and while the polish is still a bit tacky (slightly sticky), carefully place the golf leaf to the nail. (Repeat one at a time for each nail.)
- Carefully press the leaf down onto your nail to ensure that it bonds with the polish. Smooth out any wrinkles with your finger (or a q-tip).
- Once set, use a nail file to remove any uneven pieces at your tips.
- Finish by sealing and smoothing with a top coat.
Note: You can also feature a small piece of gold leaf on just a section of your nails, as well. Tutorial here.