The neutral color palette often gets dismissed as being blah and boring, but that’s hardly the case when it comes to nail polish. Many runaway shows of the 2012 season featured the subdued palette (especially in flesh, nude tones) and this summer, the neutral mani is in!
While we’d never go a summer without bright neon tips, it’s just as fun (and work-appropriate) to mix it up with neutral tones. After all, for nail polish, it’s about the finish – crème, glitter, duochrome, or even matte – as much as it is the color. So in spirit of the on-trend neutral nail, we’ve got 6 amazing neutrals perfect for summertime chicness.
Photo Credits (L to R): Zoya, RBL, Deborah Lippmann
- Zoya Minka ($8) – pale, milky beige nude with yellow undertones and a hint of pearly silver shimmer (metallic)
Light cream, nude is a quintessential neutral nail polish. Minka’s metallic shimmery finish makes the shade even better.
- Rescue Beauty Lounge Plié ($18) – satiny slippers of a prima ballerina (crème)
A creamy light pink is a nail polish collection must-have. Plié is a neutral that’s perfectly pale pink, pretty, and polished.
- Deborah Lippmann Boom Boom Pow ($20) – glamorous gold gleam; contains 24K Gold Dust (glitter)
Metals are classic neutrals and gold hues are a favorite. In the case of Boom Boom Pow, all that glitters is gold.
Photo Credits (L to R): Nubar, OPI, Essie
- Nubar Vogue Vert ($8) – contemporary light green crème (crème)
Mint green has been widely popular in the nail world lately, and Vogue Vert’s light and muted nature serves as a neutral version of the color.
- OPI San Tan-Tonio ($8.50) – a “honey” of a ten-gallon tan! (crème)
For deeper skin tones or with a sun-kissed tan, San Tan-Tonio’s beigey-latte color and smooth creme finish makes for a fantastic nude.
- Essie Demure Vixen ($8) – iridescent cocoa mauve (duochrome)
Sometimes pink, sometimes mauve, sometimes taupe, Demure Vixen is a complex yet sophisticated neutral with a quiet and feminine demeanor.