The Susan G. Komen organization is known throughout the country and beyond for their Race for the Cure, but the Komen Austin race is not until November 4, 2012. This organization, however, does so much beyond race day. Just last week, they had their annual awards luncheon at IBC Bank in which they announced the amount and recipients of all their community grants for this year. Every year, the Komen branch raises funds and distributes 75 percent of them to local organizations; this year over one million dollars will be given out to serve Travis and the surrounding counties. Using their formula, they select an exact dollar amount for each worthy recipient to do good works in support of breast cancer treatment and related causes.
Some of these organizations included Alliance for African American Health in Central Texas, Planned Parenthood of the Texas Capital Region and The University of Texas at Austin School of Nursing. While 75 percent are distributed locally, the other 25 percent goes straight to research. Executive Director of the Austin Affiliate, Christy Casey-Moore, says that this process is extremely important, especially when it comes to finding and helping women who are under-served in their communities. They seek out clinics and other organizations that target their “gap areas,” the demographics that are not getting preventative care and education.
Their next big event is the upcoming, first ever Perfectly Pink Party. The idea for this came from the Komen theme of pink and everything will be in that vein. This is the first year that they will have the gala so all attendees will be making Komen history right here in Austin. Everyone on Team Komen has been working tirelessly to prepare for this night and it will be a blast. The highlight will be the live auction and Fund A Need by signature pink drinks, provided by Sterling Affairs, and the Pink and Pizzazz giveaways are going to be a fantastic as well.
WHEN: Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 6:30 p.m. (VIP reception at 5 p.m.)
8511 North Mo-Pac Expressway
TICKETS: $200 for an individual, click here to purchase.
DRESS: Pink Austin Chic
SPONSORS: Richard & Martha Coons, Iris I. Davis, Randy & Deb Davis Groves, Texas Oncology, Bazaarvoice, Convio, GSD&M, Hance Scarborough, LLP, Rick & Valeri Reeder, RGM Advisors, LLC, Don Roesle, Scott & Julie Sanders
Deb Davis Groves Chair
Martha Coons Co-Chair