“Eww, that’s disgusting,” exclaimed my three year old daughter Malia as she walked around the Audubon Aquarium’s new “Animal Grossology” exhibit. If you can manage
to disgust a toddler, you have pretty much scored a 10 on the gross out factor. Because let’s face it, there aren’t many creatures prone to as much unrefined behavior as a toddler….except maybe the college frat guy. But as it turns out, they have nothing on tapeworms, sea stars or owls!
Now through Labor Day, you can explore the grossest, yuckiest and slimiest creatures the animal kingdom has to offer at the Audubon Aquarium’s “Animal Grossology” exhibit. Produced by Animal Animation, LLC in collaboration with Sylvia Branzei (author of the popular the Grossology book series), “Animal Grossology” presents 15 hands on stations that allow kids to learn about animal science in a way that is fun, exciting and memorable. According to Audubon Executive Vice-President Karyn Kearney, “Kids are more apt to learn when they are having politically incorrect fun.” Shrieks of laughter and surprise were heard throughout the entire exhibit, so its safe to say that the “Animal Grossology” is a educational as it is entertaining. Exhibits included:
- “Underwater Adventure“: There are many members of the animal kingdom that function with out a spine. In this interactive display, kids climb inside the
tunnel and slide out the mouth of an eel
- “The Slime Game”: Set up like a TV game show, contestants answer questions to determine who is the slimiest between the sea cucumber, snail and hack fish and what function the slime serves in their lives.
- “TapeWorms Tug“: Find out how long tapeworms grow and how the parasites affect the human digestion system.
- “Sense the Scents”: Find out exactly why dogs sniff each others butts and how animals use pheromones to communicate. Then put your nose to test as you try to discern between a host of smells….
- “Chew Chew Express”: Examine the many parts of the cow stomach and learn why they are one of Earth’s gassiest animals. From burping to tooting….they do it all!
- And much more!
So for once, allow the kids to throw etiquette aside and spend they day being darn right gross. Shh! You don’t even have to tell them that they are learning.
WHEN: Now through Labor Day
The Audubon Aquarium
1 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
(Two of the “Animal Grossology exhibits will be hosted at theAudubon Insectarium)
TICKETS: Purchase tickets here. Included in the price of Aquarium admission-$21.00 for adults, $14.00 for children and $17.00 for seniors (Free for Audubon Nature Institute Members)