‘Tis the season for holiday parties! Surely you’ve heard of or been invited to an “ugly sweater” party. If so, you probably already possess a gaudy sweater that you only wear once a year. And if you don’t, your local thrift store will have them in abundance!
Instead of tossing it out when the party is over why not craft with them? It turns out there are some fantastic crafts you can make from this unwanted material. All you really need to do is stock up on ugly sweaters!
Simple Ugly Sweater Ornaments
1. Lay the sweater flat and cut as many squares as you can get out of it.
2. Take a piece of cardboard and cut out different shapes of your choice. Some examples are a tree, star, heart, or stocking.
3. Use the cardboard cut outs to cut your sweater into the shapes.
4. Glue the sweater shapes onto the cardboard shape that matches so that the ornament will be sturdy enough to hang on your tree.
5. Use an ornament hanger to hang them on your tree
Voila! Cute (and cheap) sweater ornaments. The ugly sweater I bought cost $4 and made twelve!
Wool Sweater Christmas Trees
This cute idea came from a craft website called The Long Thread where they have more photos and the original directions. You’ll need to use wool sweaters for this creative craft because of their thickness.
1. Cut one large circle and use the first to guide you as your circles will need get smaller as you move up. You can also use circle patterns if that is easier.
2. Using a piece of wire, bend it at the bottom then find the center of each circle and slide it down, largest to smallest.
3. When all the circles are on the wire, you can place a star at the top of the tree.
You’d be surprised at how different you look at ugly sweaters after trying to get crafty with them!