Every since the “unfortunate” 2007 release of the sex tape featuring her and then boyfriend, R&B singer RayJ, Kim Kardashian and her family have made the Kardashian name way more famous than patriarch, Robert Kardashian, Sr. could have even imagined.
With a slew of reality programs on E! Entertainment Television, including Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Khloe’ and Lamar and Kim and Kourtney Take New York, clothing lines, book deals, and the covers of every tabloid magazine known to man, the Kardashian klan have become pop culture royalty. They have catapulted in the public eye even further with the recent divorce filing of Kim K to her husband of only 72 days, Kris Humpries. Little brother Robert has even stepped into the spotlight with an impressive run on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars.
The Kardashians, famous for being famous, have beauty, riches, scandals and a ruthless momager in Kris Jenner to thank for their success. And as trivial and sustenance-lacking the Kardashians may seem, we buy into it. Despite the critics and even Michelle Obama questioning their values, it’s still good TV! All the drama is guilty pleasure entertainment at its best. I admit, I have probably seen every episode of every Kardashian family exploit on E!. My husband and I watched Kim’s Fairytale Wedding with red wine and popcorn as we debated the merit of her and Humpries’s relationship.
But if you are ever interested in exploring a show just as family oriented, just as drama (and hair weave) filled, but with actual talent and a mom who is more of a mom than a pimp…look no further than WE TV’s Braxton Family Values.
Starring Grammy-award winning singer Toni Braxton and her equally captivating and talented sisters Tamar, Towanda, Traci, and Trina and no nonsense mom Evelyn, the Braxton Family is a delight.
Here’s how they compare to the Kardashians:
- Alliteration is Key: Just like Kourtney, Kim and Khloe, the Braxton Family girls all share the same initials
- Talent=Fame: Unlike with the Karshasians, talent and fame superseded notoriety for the Braxton gang. Big sis Toni is Grammy award winning performer who has starred on Broadway and headlined a Vegas Show. Her little sisters are also accomplished singer/songwriters with an album released in 1996. They even sing their own theme song.
- Baby Sisters have the Best Catch Phrase: Everyone knows the youngest Kardashian girl, Khloe is know for having quite the mouth piece. Everything from calling mom Kris J the devil to referring to Scott as a serial killer, Khloe’ is constant source of comedy on the show. Not to be out done, you can count on Tamar Braxton for lots of colorful commentary. Adding “dot com” or “dot org” at the end of her statements, as in “I am so over this. org” or singing a freestyle tune about big sister Toni’s sexual escapade, Tamar will have you rolling in the aisles and perhaps adding “dot com” into you own lingo.
- Mom v. Momager: Braxton mom Evelyn desires family togetherness over fame and fortune. And unlike Kris Jenner, she is more likely give her girls a good spanking than to let them disrespect her the way the Kardashians do their mom.
- Real v. Reality: While the Kardashian like to show us family rifts and other issues that usually resolve themselves before the end of the 30-minute episode, the Braxton seem to have no problem letting the public into their real lives. The career issues, sibling jealousy, marriage problems, daddy issues and financial problems displayed in the first season of Braxton Family Values are still being dealt with in this new second season. Nothing is packed away and tied in a neat little bow.
Needless to say, I will be watching both. How about you? Kourtney and Kim Take New York Debuts on E! on Sunday, November 27 . The Braxton Family Values airs on WE-TV on Thursday at 9/8c.