Moving is typically not something that we look forward to. Between the cleaning, packing, and actual moving, we may start to feel overwhelmed and overlook the joy that comes with relocating. After moving 5 times in the past 5 years, I’ve come to realize that the process can go smoothly with proper planning and execution. Here are just a few tips to make your move as stress-free as possible:
1. Plan ahead of time: Don’t wait until the week before you move to start planning your packing. Start gathering boxes, newspaper, and other supplies well ahead of time. The more organized you are, the easier your move will be!
2. Pack what you can: There are going to be items that can’t get packed away until right before the move (bathroom and kitchen items, for example). However, you will have things that can get packed up early such as extra clothing and seasonal items. Start packing what you can and store the boxes in closets. Also, start your deep cleaning early; this way, when you’re ready to move you’ll just need to do one quick cleaning!
3. Utilize luggage and bags: To make packing more efficient, use your luggage, duffel bags, and even your laundry basket to pack clothing, paper goods, and bedding.
4. Time for a “Spring Cleaning”: Moving is the perfect opportunity to get rid of anything that you don’t want or use. This allows you to start fresh in your new place and reduces your moving load. Hint: if clothing has not been worn in over a year, it may be time to bring it to Goodwill or your local donation center.
5. Get the right crew: Whether you’re hiring a moving company or you have your friends and family helping you out, make sure your crew is quick, efficient, and will help you make the move as easy and enjoyable as possible.
6. Enjoy the change: Moving should be a fun time in your life and a chance to start fresh with a new view of the world! Be sure to document your move with pictures and videos. This way, when you’re settled in your new place, you can look back and remember the transition.
Whether you’re moving 1,000 miles or just down the street, moving requires organization and a little bit of hard work. If you follow my tips and stay positive, you’ll be sure to have a smooth, exciting transition to your new home!