Miss A Columnist

Alex Stein considers Dallas, Texas to be her one, true home and has been lucky to live there all of her life. Although originally adopted from Bucharest, Romania, she is proud to be a Texan and is determined to take advantage of the freedom and opportunities she has been granted. A deeply rooted love for the arts and performance led her to pursue acting at The Meadows School of the Arts at Southern Methodist University, where she stumbled upon her passion for writing and began blogging in February 2010. Later, she transferred to the University of Texas at Dallas to pursue a B.A. in Business Administration. Presently, Alex owns and operates her own event planning and coordination company, DFW Events by Alex. In her free time, she practices hot yoga and aspires to become a certified Bikram yoga instructor.

The Last Dance To Support Andrew W. Bark Memorial Scholarship at Jesuit College Preparatory School

A piece by Andrew W. Bark

This weekend, Art for Andy will be hosting “The Last Dance”, its final fundraising event.  After years of hard work and steadfast determination, the organization has reached its ultimate goal: to award a talented young artist at Jesuit College Preparatory School (JCPS) with a full year’s tuition.

Art for Andy raises proceeds to support the Andrew W. Bark ’98 Memorial Scholarship at Jesuit College Preparatory School in Dallas.  The annual event was established by a group of Jesuit alumni and former classmates of Andrew W. Bark, an aspiring artist and Jesuit high school graduate of 1998, who tragically died in August 2002.   During his senior year, Mr. Bark was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer.   His premature death devastated former classmates and friends and motivated them to find a significant way to honor Andrew W. Bark’s memory.  Among them is Tripper Clancy, now a screenwriter in Los Angeles, who assisted in the organization of Art for Andy and promoted the Andrew W. Bark ’98 Memorial Scholarship for aspiring young artists, like Mr. Bark.

Art for Andy

Art for Andy, The Last Dance at The New Dallas Contemporary on Saturday, June 25th!

Excited attendees at "Art for Andy" event.

Art for Andy, The Last Dance invites attendees to share in the final public honoring of Andrew W. Bark’s lasting memory with live music and a silent auction.  The event will showcase donated artwork, ranging from $250 to $5,000, for attendees to bid on in the silent auction.  The featured artwork has been donated from students within Jesuit, local Dallas artists, and generous artists from afar. The event’s organizers have obtained an array of styles and tastes in their auction offerings that are sure to appeal to all and disappoint none.  In other words, come one; come all!  This is an event you’ve got to see; plus, admission is free! (I guess I’m a poet, and I didn’t even know it…)

If my rhymes and clear display of poetic grace were not enough to convince you to participate in this benevolent effort, allow me to shock you with statistics.  The tuition for a senior at Jesuit College Preparatory School is $14,085 (not including fees and books).  Keep in mind that students are accepted to the school based on their academic skill and scholastic achievement, not their financial assets.  JCPS awards financial aid, based solely on need, to approximately 26.5% of the student population.  For the other 73.5% of students, those eligible can apply for the Jesuit Work Grant Program or the Patrick E. Haggerty Math & Science Program. The Andrew W. Bark ’98 Memorial Scholarship is the only current scholarship for these intelligent, arts-minded students.

For more information on the event or to connect with other attendees and supporters, visit Art for Andy on Facebook here.


WHEN: Saturday, June 26, 2011 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.


The New Dallas Contemporary
161 Glass St.
Dallas, TX 75207
(214) 821-2522



Related Articles:

Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: 190: Error validating application. Application has been deleted. (190) thrown in /home/askmissa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/seo-facebook-comments/facebook/base_facebook.php on line 1273