I put together a recipe using Mary’s “Just Crumbs” which can only be bought online, as they are a limited product. Enjoy!
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 1 cup Mary’s Gone Crackers “Just Crumbs”
• 1 medium eggplant (1 to 1 1/2 pounds), cut into eight 1/2-inch-thick rounds
• 1/2 cup canola oil
• kosher salt
• 4 leaves romaine lettuce, torn in half
• 2 medium beefsteak or other tomatoes (about 1 pound), sliced
• 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
• 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
1. Place the flour, eggs, and cracker crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip the eggplant slices in the flour, then in the eggs (letting any excess drip off), and finally in the cracker crumbs, pressing gently to help them adhere.
2. Heat half the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half the eggplant until golden brown and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining oil and eggplant. Sprinkle the hot eggplant with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt.
3. Layer the eggplant, lettuce, tomatoes, basil, and goat cheese to form 4 “sandwiches,” with the eggplant on the top and bottom of each stack.
To make this recipe completely gluten free, replace the flour with a gluten free blend, or omit it altogether.
You can find grocery stores that carry Mary’s Gone Crackers products near you by using this store locator. All of Mary’s Gone Crackers products are organic, Kosher, GMO-free, certified gluten free, dairy free, allergy friendly and contain no hydrogenated oils.