I recently spoke with healthy skin care expert Celeste Hilling. Celeste is the CEO of my fave skin care line Skin Authority. She gave me 10 amazing tips for boosting your beauty dollar. Five tips are below and I’ll share the rest next week.
1. Out With the Old – discard your beauty products one year after opening them because bacteria can grow in the bottle/jar and potentially cause infections when applied to the skin. *Eliminate guessing by writing the purchase date on the bottom of new products
2. Simplify your Beauty – skin care is as simple as three to four steps in the morning and at night. In the a.m., you need a mild cleanser, an anti-oxidant such as Vitamin C and a sunscreen moisturizer. Before going to bed, use resurfacing ingredients such as AHAs and retinols in addition to restorative peptides.
3. Wash your Face – it sounds simple and it is, cleaning your skin is one of the most important things you can do in the a.m. and p.m. *Remove make-up and deep cleanse in one step with products incorporating AHAs, which are antibacterial and remove dead skin cells.
4. More Sleep, Less Stress – as one of the biggest impairments to skin care is stress, ease into a good night’s sleep by turning off the television, taking a warm bath, dimming the lights and practicing breathing exercises.
5. Sun Protection – use sunscreen every day, rain or shine. To determine the quality, check the SPF number on the label (those with SPF 15 or greater yield the best results). Also, check the active-ingredient label to make sure the product contains UVA-blocking elements such as titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or anything in the avobenzone family.
**Cool product alert – I am a product junkie and I love to make recommendations. You can look forward to a cool product alert at the end of all of my columns. This week – The Stripper To Go from Deborah Lippmann. You know when one nail becomes a mess and you try the old cotton ball and polish remover trick? Well, that creates a bigger mess. With these individual mits that you place on your fingertips, there’s no mess and they work quickly. Plus, they leave your fingers smelling like lavender! Love, Love, Love!
Here’s to a beautiful you, Debra