I’m asked by many charities to advertise their events, but I only promote the charities and events that I personally am involved in. I don’t want to be one of those bloggers that hypes every event in town, to the point that there is no meaning behind it.
I hope that my readers will consider purchasing a ticket to our Innocents at Risk event this Monday! We are hosting a reception in the courtyard behind Cafe Milano starting at 6:30pm, and we’ll start the screening of the movie, “Taken” at 7:30pm at the Letelier Theatre on the second level of the courtyard. Around 9:00pm when the movie is over, we’ll have folks from the State Department, the Unit Chief on Trafficking for ICE, Air Marshalls, and other experts fighting the war on Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation of boys, girls and women.
Here are some facts people are obviously unaware of:
· Human Trafficking is Modern Day Slavery.
· There are more slaves in the world today than in any time in history!
· There are 27 Million slaves today, which is more than the number of slaves in all 400 years of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade combined.
· Human Trafficking is the fastest growing criminal industry in the world, second only to the Drug Trade.
· Human Trafficking is more lucrative than the illegal arms trade.
· Each year over 2 Million women and children are sold into slavery, and within the U.S. over 300,000 annually.
· One victim is trafficked across international borders every minute.
· Human Trafficking is happening everywhere in the world, and in our own country.
· Human Trafficking is a $32 Billion industry for organized crime.
· In the D.C. Metropolitan area specifically, it is a $100 Million business each year.
· The money from this illicit industry fuels organized crime and terrorist networks worldwide.
I hope that you’ll join the fight against human trafficking! If you can’t attend, please consider making an online donation.